Monday, March 11, 2013

So - What Changed?

So - 

A few posts ago I said something changed. 
It wasn't really just one thing, it was a lot of things, but first things first - 

What I did today -
These things are DEATH! I am truly hoping one day they will get easier!  I thought kickboxing was death once too, but now I am in LOVE!
I truly hope it is the same with Spin! One day I will be able to complete the entire class!
This is me after Spin - I need to wear a different shirt where you can actually see all the sweat!  YUCK,  BUT awesome!

So, What really changed?

3 Months ago when I realized no matter how hard I had been working, I still wasn't losing weight, I began to want to give up.  I worked out 5-6 times a week burning anywhere between 400-700 calories.  I should have been losing weight, where was I going wrong?

I decided to focus on a few things.  I've picked up a few pieces of advice from friends, trainers, neighbors, and just plain healthy people, and I decided to piece all that information together and see what I get.

1. DRINK WATER - There are days (like yesterday) where I could go an entire day without drinking water.  My body doesn't like to tell me when it is thirsty. 
If you do not drink enough water everyday your body will store water and fat to compensate for the lack of water it is receiving.
Water naturally suppresses your appetite and also helps get rid of the salt in your system that makes you retain water!
 
2. Eat Protein - After every workout I now drink a protein shake.  It's just protein powder mixed with water. Nothing special!
Choose your protein powder carefully though. The one I am using right now I HATE. Really I am not sure there are any that truly taste good, but they help you stay full longer, feed your burned out muscle, and give you energy. In the next couple weeks I am going to be putting a post together about good protein powders!
 
3. COUNT YOUR CALORIES - I swore I would never count calories. I didn't want to be strapped to a number. I wanted to be able to eat whatever I wanted because I was working SO hard! There were days when I'd only eat breakfast and dinner or skip the first 2 meals of the day. NOT GOOD EATING HABITS!
I use the my fitness pal app.  I love it.  It's right on my phone.  I can add to it throughout the day so I know where I am at. If I notice I am eating too few of calories I can increase, if too much, I have a lighter dinner.  Knowing what I am putting in my body has been a huge change.
 
and finally
4. MEASURE YOURSELF, NOT YOUR WEIGHT -   Or and your weight.  I was so focused on the number on the scale not going down that I didn't notice the changes in my life.  I am usually no longer tired at 2 PM. I have much more energy to play with my kids.  I've lost 4 inches off my waist, 1 inch off my hips, 2 inches off my top, and 1 inch off my legs and arms.  The fat on my stomach is not as thick, and I am noticing a line in my abs a little, my biceps, and DEFINITELY my calves!  They are my favorite!
 
Most of all DON'T give up.  Find something you love and do it.  Wether it is walking with your kids, playing with them, or joining a gym, just do it.  Start small and work your way up.  I never dreamed I would be one to wake up at 4:30 AM every morning but here I am.  This morning I even woke up at 3:30 and couldn't sleep any more.  It's sometimes pathetic, but I love it.
 
I am pretty sure there is much more that has changed.  I know my attitude has changed from losing weight to being fit.  I can do things that a lot of skinny chicks cannot.  I am strong and I will win this battle of obesity, even if it takes me another year!  
 

 

1 comment:

  1. These are some really good thoughts Callie. Calories also seem to be higher than I actaully think they are when I take time to count them and water- never drink enough of it. Mostly though, I like #4. Super important to remember. You are rocking this up!

    ReplyDelete